MeritYuk Android DevLog #1 - The Problem With Native Android Apps (Layout)

  • 3
Days three at Bandung Digital Valley.

Wait, days three? What did I do in the first two days you ask? Well, nobody works in the first day. All I did was playing PS3 with Firman (PS3 has finally catching up Kinnect with their new Playstation Eye), discussing MeritYuk.com websites, and stunned by how gorgeous Bandung Digital Valley secretary is. Eventually, I ran out unproductive stuff and start working on our project.

(Just kidding, you can never ran out of Internet Entertainment. )

The Problem With Native Android Apps (Layout).

I'm not familiar with Native Android Development, or at least I only know the basics. And frankly, I don't really likes Native Android Development due to this reasons:

- Most of books/tutorials I've read are showing Android UI Apps that's created using native is ugly. Compared to what Cross-Platform technology such as PhoneGap + JQuery Mobile, or IntelXDK offer.
- I've been using AIR apps and Feathers UI for a while and again, the native UI is not as beautiful as Feathers UI.
- Lack of resources on layout design. Seriously, google it up. What will shows up is Linear layout, Relative Layout, etc. Not what I was expected. But maybe I don't know the right keyword. (Turns out, I'm not alone. This guy is thinking the same)

Bottom line, Android Native UI is ugly. That's what I first thought. Oh, and Android Emulator is  SO SLOW.

But, the skeptics inside me oppose a rebuttal. If Android native UI is so ugly then why its widely used by developers? Maybe.. Professional developers have a kind of pact not to share their secrets to aspiring developer, just to differentiate their products and new developers. Or, you know, I-don't-want-you-taking-my-job attitude?

And yet, here I am. Having a job to write a  beautiful Android Native apps. I can't run away and abandon the project. Since my alma mater name is at stakes. So, here is what I do in the first day. I'm listing top developers app layout. Ranging from Google Maps, WhatsApp, to ColorNote. The top apps from each Google Play category. 

The conclusion: I was wrong. 

Just like what Sherlock said to Dr. Watson, 'You see, but you do not observe.'
Unlike your face, you can make your Apps looks beautiful. It does, however, require a lot of work. From what I observe, most of the application are using combination of these elements:
- Splits ActionBars
- Fragments
- Drawer
- Fragments. Lots of fragments.

Knowing that information I quickly made a prototype sketch with Firman. Which turns out to be sleek enough for us. That's the design though, implementing on ADT won't be hard...right? Well, I'm really working forward to see this application finished.  That's it for today progress. See you in the next log!

PS: To tell the truth, I wasn't very motivated making this application. Don't get me wrong, my mentor seems like a nice guy, and the website is by any definition, great!. Its just... I'm not gonna married soon.. And it's kinda ironic to write an app for helping people who want to get married while the developers is.. single? But it's a job anyway. And Bandung Digital Valley is awesome. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a
    amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from
    you! However, how can we communicate?

    Feel free to surf to my page :: gewora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that it wɑs the remarkable Eleanor Roosevelt
    աho ѕaid thаt brand new days carry with them brand new energies and frwsh thinking.
    I want to thank you for putting new ideas into mʏ head.


    mʏ web blog - Slutroulette for iPhone

    ReplyDelete

Kalau mau komen, pada "Beri Komentar Sebagai : "
Pilih "Name/URL", atau pakai akun google kalau punya.